>> Thursday, August 19, 2010

This will be a quick post! Why? Cause I was in the middle of reading (well, re-reading) The Hunger Games when I realized I hadn't posted yet today! And I'm at an exciting part so I gotta hurry. But it's okay because that'll just help me with today's point! Which is, are you ready?:


Suspense


Yes, that's right. Suspense. You know what the word means. I love it! One of the hardest things for me in writing is creating suspense, especially to end chapters with. Because everybody loves suspense! I mean seriously, think of the endings of both the first two books. "I take his hand, holding on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading for the moment when I will finally have to let go."
I mean, GOSH!! I know for me personally at least, when I read that I was dying inside. I had to know what wad going to happen! And then the second book, and "There is no District 12". ...

?!?!!!????!??!!?!!?!!??!!?!!?!!?????!!?!!!!?!?!?!!?!!??!!!?!!?!!?!!??!!!!!?!!?!?!!

Seriously!! I know that so many of us were, well, frustrated with SC for leaving us hanging like that! But, it's a good frustrated. And it's one of the best skills to learn as a writer.



Now, I could go on and on about how GREAT the suspence and ALL the dramatic elements of THG is, but heck, I wanna get back to reading it! So instead I want YOU to post some examples. Kay? Everyone got it? Comment stuff!


Okay well I thought I had something else to post, but I don't remember it! So okay! Bye. I'm gonna go read more! :D

Mood: Tired. Happy. I love THG.
Listening to: my parents talking. =\
Quote of the day: "It's so fluffy I could DIE!!"
Mockingjay countdown: FIVE FREAKING DAYS!!!!!! :DDD

2 comment(s):

Alice August 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

Yeah, I remember being so mad I had to wait a YEAR for CF to come out. At the same time though, when books take so long to come out, people get out of them. Like, now, I am not so HOOKED on HG. I like them and all, but I don't NEED to have a copy the day it comes out. So, although it's good she writes with so much suspense and all, when they take too long to come out, I sorta lose interest. I dunno, sorry for the long comment. :P

Love you!
Ally

P.s. Here's a quote: "Sitting at Prim's knees, guarding her, is the world's ugliest cat. Mashed-in nose, half of one ear missing, eyes the color of rotting squash."

Micah August 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM  

Oh my gosh! I know what you mean! The ending of Hunger Games is heart breaking. Every time I read it, I feel sad, angry, disappointed... heartbroken. :( Poor Peeta.

Let's see... an example of suspense... Here's one, I just finished this chapter in Catching Fire. It's the end of Chapter 23:
"That's when I hear the scream. So full of fear and pain it ices my blood. And so familiar. I drop the spile, forget where I am or what lies aheed, only know I must reach her, protect her. I run wildly in the direction of the voice, heedless of danger, ripping through vines and branches, through anything that keeps me from reaching her.
"From reaching my little sister Prim."

Total suspense! It's stuff like that that shakes your determination to "only read one more chapter..." Until you read much too late at night... xD

Smiles,
Bells

Post a Comment

 

One day at a time | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates